SENIOR Planning Consultant
Within the team structure this is pivotal role in helping to set the direction and culture for WRP. As a senior member of the team, you will lead by example, setting the requirements for others, managing, and coaching the team to meet then exceed the WRP standards. This role requires exceptional communication skills, the ability to have difficult conversations and lead them to a positive outcome.
You will display an array of rapport building and coaching sills, as well critical thinking and creative problem solving and solutions. With your exceptional diligence, time management and prioritisation skills, not just for yourself but your team, you will always get the job done and to exceptional standard.
With your enthusiasm and passion, you will foster a strong nurturing environment where the team are supported to reach their potential whilst being expected to take ownership, responsibility, and accountability for their work. You will provide guidance, knowledge sharing and support to others, whilst demonstrating commitment to your own personal and professional development.
To be a leading, decision making, member of the planning team – you will make it happen. Within the Client facing element of this role you will act as a client counsellor/mentor, helping to guide them through the planning process and all the highs and lows it can bring. Ensuring they always feel involved and informed in their instruction as you take it from proposal to job completion. You will set the standard in being the first point of contact for your clients and, drafting and reviewing submissions and client communications.
As manager you will help set the direction and approach for team members. Developing a strong team ethos where success is celebrated, individuals are nurtured and supported whilst taking personal accountability.
Collaborating with our Directors and Associate Directors, you will help drive the Group forward by leading, aiding and supporting key group projects and initiatives within the business plan.
- Efficient and effective line management, coaching and mentoring of team members.
- Confident on internal systems and business processes, including the thirteen stages of the internal planning process summary flowchart. With the ability to instruct and direct others within the Group confidently on systems and process matters.
- Providing advice, guidance, and support to other team members on planning matters and strategy.
- Manage a diverse range of instructions from Clients relating to town planning matters.
- Effective time management, prioritisation of work and recording of time in line with job estimates for yourself and the wider team. Ensuring whilst all work is completed efficiently it also meets or exceeds the required standard and quality.
- Lead the preparation and submission of planning applications defined by Client instructions.
- Responsible for helping planning assistants and technicians develop their writing style to reflect the Group style.
- Producing and developing long and short-term planning strategies for Clients to achieve a positive outcome.
- Undertake critical analysis and provide creative solutions to overcome any barriers or potential planning barriers to achieve a successful outcome for our clients.
- As an ambassador for WRP ensure every communication – verbal and written is professional, efficient, effective, helpful, and appropriate. Eliciting trust from the initial contact to ensure constructive negotiations and successful positive interactions. Support team members by providing advice on planning matters and contributing to the preparation of documents in support of planning submissions if required.
- Supporting the Finance Manager with timely and accurate Client invoicing in line with the Client invoice process.
- With the support and guidance of the Group HR & OD Manager undertake activities relating to HR issues such as;
- Induction and probation
- Attendance management
- Discipline & grievance
- Performance management
- Annual and statutory leave
- Training needs analysis (TNA)
- Offer assistance and support during recruitment campaigns and activities.
- Conduct 1:1’s and PDR’s (Performance Development Reviews) for team members, supporting their professional and personal growth.
- Contribute to the continued development and progression of WRP by providing ideas and suggestions for improvements. Also developing and delivering projects and presentations in line with the business strategy.
- Develop key relationships with third party consultants (architects, tree consultants, ecologists, etc) to ensure best practice and standards. Liaison for quotes in respect of WRP instructions. Liaison includes preparing the consultants scope of work, reviewing fee quotes, advising Clients and ensuring reports are received in a timely manner and within the scope of work agreed.
- Proactively managing applications post submission to a decision. Ensuing that clients are fully informed at all times, and provided with reassurance even when delivering a negative message.
- Directing Group research and maintaining knowledge resources including appeals, LPA decisions, judicial decisions, and legislative updates
- Responsible for drafting and reviewing planning statements to the WRP standard. This includes developing new content, updating existing content, developing supplementary images and tables.
- Setting the standard for the production of client estimates and, the preparation and submission of planning applications defined by Client instructions.
- Undertake and lead constructive negotiations on behalf of Clients with the Local Planning Authority to resolve matters of difference.
- Responsible for undertaking several tasks to ensure a successful outcome for clients, including but not limited to:
- Monitoring comments on planning submissions, advising Clients on any issues raised and providing appropriate responses to the LPA where required.
- Undertake detailed research, including but not limited to:
- Planning history searches using Council’s online searches and through formal requests made to the Council
- Using company resources and knowledge
- Planning policy reviews and updates in preparation for new planning statements
- Planning case law
- Site review
- Planning appeals
- Analysing appeals, LPA decisions, judicial decisions, and legislative updates.
- Participate in monitoring appeals within the Local Authority Areas.
- Creating new planning statement content based on diligent research.
- Production, and signing off of client estimates and fee proposals in line with the company lead management and risk assessment matrix.
- Providing constructive feedback to stress test the crux of the planning argument, in line with our peer assessment review process.
- Attendance at site meetings with Clients and third parties as required.
- Working in line with Group key performance indicators and The WRP Way.
- Sharing your knowledge and expertise, act as a mentor/coach to other team members supporting a culture of continuous development and improvement.
- Chartered member of the RTPI or RICS
- Planning Degree
- Demonstratable knowledge of the planning system and current planning
legislation, across our entire range of instruction/job types. Sufficient to
be able to manage the process from beginning to end
- Practical experience in all our application types and job categories.
Sufficient to train others
- Communicating information clearly
- Building positive and trusting relationships
- Developing an internal and external network
- Influencing and negotiating
- Listen to and positively respond to feedback
- Coaching and supporting other team members
- Understanding of own communication skills and the ability to adapt
Analysis and Decision-making
- Breaking problems down and establishing facts
- Identifying key issues within situations
- Critical thinking – understand the why & so what?
- Propose creative solutions to problems and issues
- Construct a structured and compelling argument
- Making effective decisions under time pressure based on the
- Developing self and others to respond effectively to change
- Identifying and seizing opportunities to fix or improve things
- Keeping abreast of and sharing best practice
- Initiating and implementing change
- Planning and organising people, tasks, and projects
- Implementing plans and projects effectively
- Utilisation rate of greater than 65% when managing others
- Delivering results in line with job prospects
- Less than 5% of time write
- Less than 5% of time wastage
- Positive client feedback regardless of outcome or planning decision
- Ensure accuracy and thoroughness
- Demonstrating professional integrity
- Setting and maintaining WRP standards
- Ensuring both internal & external procedural compliance
- Accurately identify prospects of job applications
Group and Strategic Perspective
- Group awareness and contribution to the Group business plan
- Understanding and being sensitive to external business influences
- Financial understanding linked to invoicing
- Ownership of own time management
- Motivating and inspiring people
- Setting clear objectives and holding people accountable for results
- Coaching and supporting others
- Setting a positive example
- Delegating and making best use of others expertise
- Willingness to support
- Coach & mentor of others
- Want and drive to succeed
- Willingness to learn
- Focus on self-improvement
- Ownership of work and results
- Takes accountability
- Presents a professional image
- Demonstrating tenacity
- Rapport with others
- 5 years +